Saturday, November 26, 2011

Adding A/C: running the power

The framing in the walls and ceiling are not strong enough for a/c units. I also didn't want a new a/c unit stuck to the outside of my vintage trailer. In my model Shasta, there's a perfect spot to install an a/c unit over the wheel well on the closet side of the trailer. Originally, a propane fridge was located here and there's already a vented assess door. This provides ventilation and assess to the back of the a/c unit.
When I bought the trailer, there was a dorm style fridge sitting here.  You can see the outlet  a previous owner had just set in the bottom of the cabinet. Amateur!

Another picture of how the wiring was done.

I made sure the wire running under the trailer was stapled up to the trailer .

I also used some zip ties to keep the wire from sagging low under the trailer.


This the new outlet box I plan to use.

I installed the outlet in the space behind the gas furnace.

This is the installed plug. I plan to use it to power my a/c unit and my ventilation fan. I made sure I stapled the wires down good to keep them away from the heater. The white cable is bringing the power in from the breaker box and runs under the trailer. The yellow cable is running power to the top of the closet for my fridge and will be discussed later.



No comments:

Post a Comment