Saturday, November 26, 2011

Interior AC wiring upgrade: running new wires through the ceiling

  I wanted to put an outlet in the top cabinet above my sink. This outlet is going to provide power to my dome light upgrade and let me recharge stuff (cell phones, ipods....) in an out of the way location. The light fixture between my cabinets was used as a junction box by the manufacturer. It was a pain dealing with that many connections in such a small space much less adding a new run of cable. So, I changed things around a little.
This is the light fixture between the cabinets and how it looked when I bought the trailer.  Three pictures down you can see how much cable is run to this fixture.

This is the cabinet toward the front of the trailer with the roof vent next to it. This is where I plan to put a junction box. In this picture I already have the ceiling panel removed. A previous owner had already replaced this area of ceiling because I didn't have to cut the back of the panel. All I had to do was remove the screw holding the front of the cabinet to the ceiling. Then the ceiling panel slid out the front over the cabinet. 

This is a close up of the above picture. This shows the hot wire coming from the breaker box (bottom of picture) and running to the light fixture (left). The white wire running straight from left to right is the power going from the light fixture in the sink area to the end of the run at the light over the dinette.  

This is how it looked when I removed the light fixture. There were just too many connections for the fixture and the small box that fit into the ceiling. A previous owner had already replaced this section of ceiling. I couldn't completely remove the panel but was able to pull it down enough to run new wires. 

The wire to the left goes to the wall sconce above the bed at the back of the trailer.  I wired this into the light fixture instead of running a new line. I taped new cable to the old to snake through the ceiling to the new junction box.

I labeled all of my cables so I knew what I wanted it to go to after snaking it through the ceiling. and to keep me from getting confused at the junction box.

While I had the ceiling panel out, I marked where I wanted the junction box and drilled holes for the wires. I slid the panel half way back and fed the wires through the holes.

this is a close up of the above picture.

Now I have all my wires pulled through.

I mounted the junction box and reattached the ceiling panel. I had to be careful not to screw through my new wires. I also put the screw back into the ceiling to hold up the front of the cabinet.

I ran a cable straight from the junction box in the front cabinet to a new junction box in the rear cabinet. This run bypasses the light fixture between the cabinets and powers an outlet in the back cabinet. To the left you can see the outlet. My dome light plugs into this outlet and I use it to charge stuff.

I would have never fit all this into my light fixture. This is the new junction box in the front cabinet.

Installed the cover.

This is the front junction once completed.

The installed light fixture with the ceiling panel back in place.

This is the junction box in the back cabinet. I could have skipped this and run the powered line straight to the electrical outlet in the cabinet. But, I ran one of my cables through the ceiling too short and had to put in the box.

1 comment:

  1. nice post. Now you can use this manufacturers directory to promote cables & wires import & export business.

    ReplyDelete