Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Interior AC wiring / adding outlets

There were not enough outlets in the trailer and using the plugs in the light fixtures just isn't practical. I planned to add four outlets to the breaker the lights wired into. You'll see where I located the outlets and ran the new wiring in the pictures below. Keep in mind, you have to be careful and not over run your circuit when plugging things into the outlets. I wired the new outlets into a 15 Amp breaker. If I plug too much stuff in at once, I'd probably flip it.
This outlet is located under the front bench seat for the dinette. I think originally the fresh water tank was located in this area.


The installed outlet box.
   

When cutting out the hole for the box, first trace the shape on the wall with a pencil.

Drill some starter holes in the corners.

If you don't have a saws all saw and a electric jig saw won't fit, cutting out the box can be a pain.  I  had a hand saw somewhere  that would work for this but I couldn't find it. So I used my needle nose vise grips and a jig saw blade to cut out the hole.



I smoothed the edges with fine tooth rasp.

And, installed the outlet box. This outlet is located toward the back of the trailer  and under the sink.

Then I ran my wiring from the breaker, to the front outlet, and then to the outlets  at the back of the trailer.

This is the wiring coming from the front outlet (right), up to the outlets  added behind the stove, and back down  to go to the outlet at the back of trailer.

I decided to add two outlets behind the stove. At first I was concerned it may get too hot for the wires. Then I realized that if it doesn't get hot enough to scorch the wood, it won't get too hot for the wiring. I just made sure the wires were stapled against the wood to keep the wires away from the stove surface.

Here the wire comes back down from behind the stove and to the back.

The run ends at the outlet under the sink next to the wheel well.

Installed front outlet.

Installed back outlet.

Cutting out for the boxes for the outlets behind the stove.


Installed outlets for the area behind the stove.

No comments:

Post a Comment